It’s essential to consider the moving costs you’ll pay when starting your journey in a new location. Typically, you’ll want to save money and might think that doing it all yourself is the best choice. However, hiring professionals is often the ideal solution because they will know what to do and protect your items.
Here is a list of tips to help when moving on a budget. You can easily trim your expenses and learn how to compare prices, find appropriate packing supplies, and much more. Let’s get started!
Tips for Moving on a Budget
These tips were designed to help you save money while moving on a budget. Though you want to cut costs, you must know how to do it safely to avoid making it more expensive. Here are some ways to shave your moving budget:
1. Create a Budget
When moving on a budget, you should create a budget. It will help you save money because you’ll know what to spend on this project. Therefore, it’s wise to take a few minutes and determine the amount of cash you have available.
Ensure you account for all bills, food, fuel, and everything else you must cover for that month. Then, you’ll know what you can afford for:
- Truck rentals
- Travel expenses
- Storage units
- Professional movers
- Packing supplies
- Moving insurance
- Cleaning supplies
- Much more
2. Use a Moving Truck
The cheapest way to move is by getting a moving truck, though there are exceptions. For one, long-distance moves are often less expensive when using moving containers. However, the general way to save money is through a rental truck. Depending on the trip distance and home size, renting a moving truck could save you hundreds of dollars.
You can also trim costs more by choosing a moving company known for its lower prices. Ask for discounts, whether it’s a local move or long distance.
3. Comparing Quotes and Costs from Professional Movers
Collect quotes from multiple moving companies before choosing one. Remember that this is a competitive industry. If the first estimate feels high, you can always ask around. The next moving company might give you a better deal to help you save money.
Customers can often save hundreds of dollars when they make a few phone calls. Companies are often willing to lower the moving costs you pay so that you’ll use their services instead of another. You can choose to work with Apple Moving to get the best prices.
4. Consider Reputable Moving Companies
Generally, hiring a low-cost moving company could be the worst choice possible. You want to save money, but you need a reputable and professional mover to do the job. Most brands don’t mind taking your hard-earned cash, but they might not deliver on promises made. Likewise, they may not return your stuff. There are many moving scams out there!
How do you know which companies are the best? It takes time, patience, and perseverance. Here are some tips to help you save time while finding the right brands to work with:
- Read Reviews – Though you’ll visit the company website, it’s always wise to hear what other customers say about it. Focus on complaints about late deliveries, raised prices, and damaged items.
- Avoid Too-Good-to-Be-True Deals – If the quote you receive seems too good to be true, it probably is. Overall, quotes way below the market rate are a red flag.
- Choose an Established Brand – Moving companies tend to come and go quickly. Save time, and don’t gamble with a newly established one. The websites should include info about how long it’s been in business, but call and ask if you can’t find it.
5. Use a Moving Container
A moving container is a hybrid between doing it yourself and hiring full-service movers. Likewise, it’s the least expensive option when focused on long-distance travel.
You can save money by following these steps:
- Choose a Moving Container Company – Call around to find the best options, compare prices, and pick one that meets all your needs.
- Schedule the Delivery – It’s best to know your moving date ahead of time so that you can pick the date and time for the company to bring the moving container. If there’s enough room, it will drop on the street in front of the house or in your driveway.
- Load It – Focus on how many belongings you have to ensure you get something big enough. It would be best to fill up the container, making it much more affordable. However, most companies do offer hourly workers if you need help.
- Tell the Company You’re Loaded – Once you’re finished loading your container, you’ll alert the company. Someone will come by to pick it up, taking it to the new place for you.
- Unload – The moving container company schedules the delivery date for the new location. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to unload it and call to have it picked up once it’s empty.
This solution typically works better when you have less stuff and for local moves. If you’re moving into a three-bedroom home, it might not be feasible.
6. Use Professional Movers with Customizable Services
You can enjoy the benefits of a professional mover with low costs. Select a company that lets you choose your services and save money!
When you hire professional movers, they often charge for packing and storage services, even if you don’t require them. Ask if you can lower your price by taking care of all that yourself.
7. Hire Hourly Moving Services
Sometimes, it’s possible to save money by hiring movers on an hourly rate instead of using the ones from the company. However, they could be uninsured or unlicensed, which is how they offer such cheap prices. Make sure to research them thoroughly.
8. Ask for Discounts
Almost all companies offer discounts, but you might have to ask for them. What options are available to help you save money? Here is a list of potential discounts when moving on a budget:
- Students and teachers
- Senior citizens
- Discount when you don’t move during peak moving season
- Online buyers
- First-time buyers
- First responders
9. Find Free Moving Supplies
Why should you pay for moving boxes when you can get everything for free? You could search on Facebook Marketplace and other social media sites to ask people for free boxes, packing tape, and bubble wrap. Most people don’t mind getting rid of packing supplies they no longer need.
Likewise, you can ask your local recycling center if they have free cardboard boxes and other packing supplies you could take. The goal of moving on a budget is to save money, which will help tremendously.
You can lower your moving expenses when you get free supplies from people who no longer need the items.
10. Use a Moving Checklist
A moving checklist could help you save money during your move. Most people only focus on loading and unloading the trucks. However, the work starts long before the moving date. You can find printable moving checklists anywhere online, but this one from Apple Moving is an excellent option!
You might also want to keep track of when to start doing things. For example, you’ll need to call the moving company about two months before the date to schedule the service. Here are a few more tips to help:
- Keep a binder with all the moving info in it
- Do a home inventory
- Donate or sell your unwanted items online
- Reserve your storage unit
- Do small repairs
- Collect garage door openers and keys
- Get moving insurance
Final Thoughts for Moving on a Budget
Moving expenses can add up quickly, but you can also save money when you plan ahead. Trim costs by only paying for the services you require, using quality companies, and choosing the move type that works for you.
Finally, you’ll search for free moving supplies and use a checklist to ensure you don’t forget anything. When you’re ready, don’t make it a DIY move. Instead, request a free quote from Apple Moving to ensure you save money while getting quality services at a fair price.
FAQs for Moving on a Budget
How Do You Move on a Tight Budget?
When trying to save money on your move, here are a few tips to help:
- Use free packing materials.
- Avoid the peak season.
- Have a flexible moving date.
- Hire a reputable company to assist.
- Sell whatever you don’t need.
- Start packing as soon as you can.
How Much Money Do You Need When Moving?
You’ll need anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000 to move, especially if you hire movers to help you.
How Much Money Should I Save to Move Without a Job?
The moving expenses won’t change, but if you don’t have a job, you’ll need to save about six months of emergency expenses in a savings account. Likewise, you shouldn’t spend frivolously because you’ll quickly run through your cash. Focus on the job search, packing what you can to save money.