In military service, frequent relocation from one base to another is commonplace. While the prospect of embarking upon a new adventure can be exhilarating, the process of relocating can be daunting and taxing. Among the crucial considerations is selecting a competent moving company to transition all your possessions to your new destination seamlessly. With so many companies offering military moving services, it can be challenging to determine which one has the best rates. This guide will explore some of the top military moving companies in the industry and compare their rates to help you make an informed decision.
What is a Military Moving Company
A military moving company is a specialized type of moving company that provides relocation services to military members, including active-duty service members, veterans, and their families. These companies are familiar with military moves’ unique needs and challenges, such as frequent relocations, strict timelines, and specific regulations. Military moving companies offer various services, including packing, loading, transportation, and unloading household goods and other personal belongings. They may also offer storage solutions and other value-added services to assist with the relocation process.
Factors that Affect the Rates of Military Moving Companies
Several factors can affect the rates of military moving companies. A comprehensive grasp of these elements can assist in approximating your relocation expenses and identifying a corporation that provides optimal service for your funds. Some of the pivotal factors that influence the prices of military moving enterprises encompass:
- Distance: The distance between your current location and your new destination is one of the most significant factors that impact the cost of your move. Moving companies typically charge based on the weight of your belongings and the distance they need to travel.
- Weight: The weight of your household goods is another crucial factor that influences the cost of your move. The more items you have, the heavier your shipment will be, which can increase the cost of your move.
- Services required: The types of services you require can also affect the cost of your move. For example, if you need additional services such as packing, crating, or storage, these will add to the overall cost of your move.
- Time of year: The time of year you move can also impact the rates of military moving companies. Moving during peak season, typically between May and September, can be more expensive than moving during the off-season.
- Type of move: The move you need can also affect the rates of military moving companies. For example, a long-distance move may cost more than a local move, while an international move will require additional fees and documentation.
Top Military Moving Companies with Competitive Rates
Here are 5 top military moving companies that offer competitive rates:
- United States Transportation Command (USTC): USTC manages the Defense Personal Property Program (DP3), which coordinates household goods movement for military members. DP3 has a network of approved moving companies that meet specific criteria and offer competitive rates to military members.
- Allied Van Lines: Allied Van Lines has been in the moving business for over 90 years and offers a range of services to military members, including packing, loading, and transportation. They offer discounts to military members and have competitive rates.
- Mayflower: Mayflower is another well-established moving company that offers military members various services, including full-service packing, loading, and transportation. They offer competitive rates and have a network of agents throughout the country.
- North American Van Lines: North American Van Lines is a reliable moving company that has been in business for over 80 years. They offer military members various services, including packing, crating, and storage. They also offer competitive rates and discounts to military members.
- U-Pack: U-Pack is a moving company specializing in long-distance moves and offers military members discounts on their services. They offer a unique service called “you pack, we drive,” where they deliver a moving trailer or container to your location, pack it, and transport it to your destination. This can be cost-effective for military members seeking more control over their movements.
Tips for Saving Money on Your Military Move with a Moving Company
Here are some tips for saving money on your military move with a moving company:
- Plan: The earlier you start planning your move, the more time you have to compare prices and find the best deals. Start researching moving companies as soon as you know you will be moving, and book your move as early as possible.
- Declutter: The less you have to move, the less you will pay. Before your move, take the time to declutter your home and remove any items you no longer need or use.
- Pack yourself: If you have the time and resources, consider packing your belongings yourself instead of paying the moving company. This can save you money on packing materials and labor costs.
- Be flexible: Be flexible with your move dates. Moving during off-peak times or weekdays can be cheaper than moving during peak season or on weekends.
- Compare quotes: Get quotes from multiple moving companies and compare their rates and services. Don’t just go with the first company you find – shop around to find the best deal.
- Ask for discounts: Many moving companies offer discounts to military members and their families. Be sure to ask about any available discounts when you are getting quotes.
- Consider a partial DITY move: If you have items that you can move, consider doing a partial DITY (Do-It-Yourself) move. This can help you save money on moving costs while getting help from a moving company for more oversized items.
It is difficult to say which military moving company has the best rates, as rates can vary depending on several factors, such as distance, weight, and services required. However, the top 5 military moving companies with competitive rates include United States Transportation Command (USTC), Allied Van Lines, Mayflower, North American Van Lines, and U-Pack. To save money on your military move with a moving company, consider planning, decluttering, packing yourself, being flexible with your move dates, comparing quotes, asking for discounts, and considering a partial DITY move. By taking these steps, you can find a moving company that offers the best value for your money and save on your overall moving costs.